Ankle weights for exercise! To be honest, I didn’t know that you could add resistance to your training or body exercise by weighted clothing, not until I saw a woman wearing some weights while walking; which prompted me to do some research.
Weighted clothing could be garments with heavyweights incorporated into them to add weight to different body parts aimed at increasing resistance to your training.
According to the American Council On Exercise, adding extra weight in for of wrist or ankle weights during your workouts increases the total mass that must be moved and boosts the physiological demand of an activity.
It also goes ahead to emphasize that the use of 1 to 3 pounds of weights can increase the heart rate by 5 to 10 beats per minute and oxygen consumption by about 5 to 15% compared to performing the same activity without weights.
This article is particularly going to guide you on how to choose the best, affordable and high-quality ankle weights for exercise on the market.
Among the ankle weights for exercise on the market, we recommended; Reehut Durable Ankle/Wrist Weights, BalanceFrom GoFit Fully Adjustable Weights, Cap Barbell HHA-CB020A Adjustable Ankle Weights, Ankle/Wrist Weights (1 pair), Prosource Fit Ankle/Wrist Weights Set of 2, Gaiam Ankle Weights, Yes4ALL Ankle/Wrist Weights, RitFit Ankle/Wrist Weights, Bala Bangle Fully Adjustable Wrist/Ankle Weights, and Valeo Adjustable Ankle/Wrist Weights.
But hey, what are ankle weights?
These can be called fitness tools you fasten on the lower legs to increase resistance when doing body exercises. Ankle weights are used in lunges, spearman, leg raises, arm circles, walking and more.
Unlike the hand weights or the machines at the gym, weighted clothing or ankle weights for exercise give the trainer a wide range of other movements to perform since the hands and the rest of the body is left free.
How do I pick the best ankle weights for exercise on the market?
Below is a list of the things you should look at before picking on a particular pair of ankle weights for exercise.
You may want to increase or reduce the weights according to the type of exercise or muscle group you are working on. Just like dumbbells, ankle weights can be varied. You, therefore, should pick on one that allows you to vary the weights.
Choose the type of ankle weights that are not expensive but yet good quality to satisfies your fitness needs
Material (make the weights)
Choose ankle weights with heavy rubber weights. These neither rust nor leak. Other materials like metal normally rust. Sand can also leak after some time.
Ankle weights should be easy to move with or go anywhere and turn any activity into a workout session.
Pick on ankle weights with comfortable and moisture-wicking material to fit against the skin.
It may be an added advantage to pick on ankle weights that can work as arm weights or wrist weights as well.
our article on how to choose the best water bottle for gym may also be useful to you.
Here are the detailed descriptions of the best ankle weights for exercise on the market that we can recommend to you.
- Made of durable mercerized cotton for exercise
- It has a soft breathable and comfortable wear
- Moisture absorbing material inside
- Reehut Ankle weights come with a 30-day replacement or refund
- Two-year warranty and lifetime customer support
- Versatile i.e. can be used on wrist and ankles both for male and female
- All sizes come in a pair
- The weights are made of neoprene exterior to ensure durability
- It has soft, breathable and comfortable moisture absorbing material inside
- Accommodate a vast range of workouts i.e. jogging, walking, core training, aerobics and more
- One can adjust the weights according to the resistance desired
- The weights come in different weights levels for you to choose from
- The weights have external pockets so that you can adjust the resistance to fit your needs
- Versatile i.e. can be used by men and women as well as different types of exercises
- Adjustable hook and loop closures ensure a secure fit
- Comes with a carry Bag by premium Fitness Equipment brand Nordic lifting
- Designed for comfort and durability with reinforced stitching and neoprene padding
- Reflective trim for safe outdoor use
- Fully adjustable to any resistance of your choice
- Can be used for both wrist and ankle
- It comes with one year manufacturer’s warranty and instruction manual
- Versatile in the sense that it can use in the gym, from home and other workouts like aerobics, core training, and jogging
- Can be used to rehabilitate muscles
- Neoprene material provides a comfortable fit around ankles during your workouts
- The durable Velcro straps allow you to adjust weights to your desired resistance
- Versatile i.e. can be used by both men and women
- Build lower body strength with adjustable ankle weights
- It offers a superior fit so you can concentrate on exercises
- Add resistance to a variety of workouts including Pilates, yoga, aerobics and more
- High-quality stitching and materials ensure durability
- Velcro closure ensures weights keep the weights in one place during exercises
- They come in a pair of 2.5 pounds each
- It has neoprene material is soft on the skin go give you a comfortable feel and prevent abrasion on your skin
- The D-ring and Velcro band provide a greater fit for your ankle/wrist
- Comes with reinforced stitching and sturdy outer trim prevent the iron sand from leaking
- Middle stitching along the weights ensures even distribution of weights during workouts
- Versatile in the sense that provides resistance to a wide range of workouts including; cardio exercises or physical therapy
- Bought in a pair with multiple weights for various resistance levels
- The soft padded neoprene material and reinforced stitching ensures durability
- It has a strong hook and loop band comfortable fit for your ankles
- You can adjust the weights to your resistance needs
- It is suitable for both men and women
- Versatile in the sense that it accommodates all forms of body exercises
- Comes with 100% satisfaction guarantee i.e. 100% refund on dissatisfaction
- This provides no limit to your range of motion as opposed to traditional dumbbells
- They are versatile i.e. they can be used on the ankle, wrist and for men, women as well as children
- Bala Bangles are high in quality and come in many desired colors
- Provide a constant yet comfortable resistance to your workout
- They provide resistance to any workout including Pilates, aerobics, walking and more
- Comes in a pair with 2 ankle straps
- It has 5 individual sand-filled weights to adjust your resistance from 1 to 5lbs
- Perfect for improving body balance and coordinating physical therapy
- The self-gripping Velcro closure makes it easy to adjust i.e. firmly fits your ankle, wrist and easy to remove
- The padded, non-abrasive lining, Velcro closure, and metal D-ring straps provide a firm and comfortable grip
What exercises can I do with ankle weights?
As a matter of fact, ankle weights are versatile workout equipment. Their small size enables you to carry and wear them wherever. The exercise one can do with ankle weights include;
The targets the general body muscles including; the core muscles, abs, quadriceps, and the hamstrings.
- Doing chores at home
Targets the entire body muscles
- Leg raises
This is a strength training exercise. it targets the rectus abdominis muscles and internal and external oblique muscles.
- Glute kickbacks
Glute kicks targets the glutes i.e. gluteus maximus, gluteus minimus, and gluteus medius.
- Donkey kicks
These are very important for both stability and toning. donkey kicks target the gluteus maximus, the core, and shoulder muscles
- High kicks
This is one of the effective dynamic workouts. This targets the Hips, Glutes, and Hamstrings
A dip is an upper-body strength exercise. this works our the triceps, pectoralis, and anterior deltoid muscles
- Leg extensions
This is mostly performed by lever machines. Leg extensions target the quadriceps muscles, rectus femoris, and vastus muscles
Crunches target the midsection of your body. The rectus abdominis muscles are entirely involved
How heavy should ankle weights for exercise be?
With ankle weights, you can start with light ankle weights and gradually adjust to heavier ankle weights depending on your fitness needs.
No matter the excitement, never exceed what your body can manage. Work within the limits since with light weights one can still get good results with high reps.
In a nutshell, everyone has a different goal and a different weight limit. Consider using adjustable ankle weights to easily monitor your weight limit.
What are the benefits of using ankle weights for exercise?
If you want to add resistance to your exercises, ankle weights are one of the most user-friendly and effective equipment you can use. They are versatile whereby you can use them in almost all workouts.
Let us look at some of the benefits of using ankle weights below
- Ankle weights help you to burn more calories. The weights increase resistance implying more calories are needed to perform a particular workout.
- Ankle weights boost your endurance. Adding weights to your legs leads to more energy expenditures which increases your heart and respiratory rates. This gives you the ability to push for a longer period.
- Exercising with ankle weights helps to tone and shape the muscles of your body; such as thighs, legs.
- Ankle weights help with weight loss. As the muscles become toned and leaner, more calories are set to be burnt. This helps to reduce the fat deposits in our bodies hence weight loss.
- Ankle weights help to tone the abs. This is because the added weights target lower abdomen
- Ankle weights help to achieve stronger breathing muscles. This because added weights increase the heart rate and respiratory rate which are the key elements in the breathing process
What are the disadvantages of using ankle weights for exercises?
- Ankle weights can lead to joint and muscle stress instead of building muscles when you overuse them. It is therefore advisable to use them sparingly or moderately.
- Ankle weights can mess up your biomechanics by altering your gait and stride.
Will ankle weights help you lose weight?
The center for disease control and prevention indicates that you need to burn more calories than you consume in order to lose weight.
Is walking around with ankle weights bad?
It is not advisable to walk or run around with ankle weights. This can easily alter your gait, strain your muscles and lead to imbalances. Ankle weights build and increase the strength of your muscles. As you build the muscles, your body burns more calories even when you are at rest. This eventually leads to weight loss.
Ankle weights are versatile as they can be incorporated in a number of exercises. With ankle weights, you can target all major muscle groups, provided you know how to use them.
However, ankle weights can stress your joints and muscles if overused. they should, therefore, be used moderately.