Regular exercise is one of the bases of healthy living. Regular exercises help to preserve our hearts and body from deteriorating and disease. It is only through an exercise that we can boost our energy levels and metabolism. Unfortunately, most of us don’t have a schedule that allows us to regularly visit the gym. Therefore, having a home exercise routine with the best exercise mats is a sure way to save time and improve our health.
In order to have comfortable and effective home workouts, it is important that you get the best exercise mats. Regardless of the type of exercise, be it yoga or strength training, you need the best exercise mats to give you support and balance, protect your body from the hard floor and protecting the floor the damage from exercise equipment.
Our recommendation of the best exercise mats includes; Siva health fitness mat, everlasting folding mat, pro sources fit puzzle exercise mat, incline fix exercise mat, Heming weigh extra thick foam exercise mat, Sunny Health & Fitness Folding Gymnastics Mat, Balance from thick tri-fold folding exercise mat, Stamina fold-to-fit folding equipment mat, as some of the best exercise mats
What is an exercise mat?
An exercise mat is a work out equipment that is meant to provide cushion, support for the body and protection of the floor beneath you. Well, with friction shoes, individuals who don’t use exercise mats have high chances of slipping and the risk of being traumatized during exercise. The feeling and elasticity the exercise mat offers makes individuals more focused and this increases the efficiency of a workout. Most exercise mats are therefore designed to make the workout comfortable and efficient. They can be used for yoga, stretching and floor-based exercises.
Are our exercise mats necessary?
Well just like me, I am seated here wondering whether exercise mats are very important. And above all, cant women exercise minus these mats? As a matter of fact, there is a variety of exercise or workouts that do not require exercise mats, as well as those that do require exercise mats. The exercise that may require exercise mats include;
Floor work where most of the workouts are performed on the floor. If one is required to lay their back on the floor or putting the forearm on the floor cushion between the ground and the body is very important.
Yoga workouts; yoga that involves constant movement and deep stretches that require stillness, a yoga mat with a firm grip and the stable surface is important.
On the other hand, there are several exercises that do not require exercise mats. These include; cardio workouts like (swimming, walking, biking and running), suspension training and some stretch training.
Having said that, it evident that exercise mats have benefits to the individual doing the exercises these include; cleanliness as one is shielded from flow dirt, the comfort of some sort where the body is padded from the ground and support to avoid slippery surfaces during workouts.
Is there a difference between a yoga mat and an exercise mat?
Although most of you think that exercise mats are meant to provide cushion or support, and therefore you can just pick any mat, think again. It is important that we use the proper mat for a specific workout. Different workouts require a different magnitude of support. Therefore having the right mat will make you more effective and comfortable during your work out. Here are a few points to help you differentiate a yoga mat and an exercise mat.
Exercise mats are most times made thicker than yoga mats. In fact 1 to 3 inches thick. They are mainly used for general fitness floor-based and bodyweight exercises. The thickness protects your body from any injury in case of a fall and the floor from damage by weights if any.
Yoga mats, on the other hand, are normally thinner and have a non-slippery surface. They are about 0.25 to 1 inch thick. Yoga mats cling firmly to the ground and prevent slipping or yoga-related injuries. Yoga mats provide the cushion and allow the individual to feel the pose and feel stable on the ground when performing the pose.
What are the best exercise mats to use?
Here are some of the recommended best exercise mats that can enable you to keep your routine exercises.
Pro sourced fix puzzle exercise mat
- These dense, durable tiles withstand gym equipment and heavy use. They, therefore, can protect the floor.
- They cover 24 square ft. this offers ample space for effective workouts.
- The pieces are light and easy to connect this makes transportation very easy.
- The high-density EVA foam provides maximum support and cushion.
- The non-skid texture offers water-resistance and noise-reduction properties.
Sunny Health & Fitness Folding Gymnastics Mat
- This 6 feet exercise mat ensures adequate cushion for exercises such as crunches, leg workouts. This is because it allows the user to lie down comfortably.
- It has a lightweight and two carrying nylon handles which makes portability and storage so simple.
- With 2 inches of thickness, it provides extra support and comfort during exercises
- It is versatile in the sense that it can be used both beginners and advanced and both at the gym and home.
Balance from thick tri-fold folding exercise mat
- The mat is 6 ft. long and 2ft wide
- It has 1.5-inch high-density EPE foam capable of activities like aerobics.
- The surface is puncture-resistant and made of non-absorbent vinyl.
- The moisture resistance mat is easy to wash with soap and water
- It is exceptionally resilient allowing maximum balance during the exercise
- Since it has handles and is foldable, it is easy to store or transport the mat
Heming weigh extra thick foam exercise mat
- It is made of thick foam that makes floor workouts comfy and convenient.
- It is extra-long measuring 23 inches by 70 inches giving you ample space for a wide range of workouts.
- This mat has double non-slip surfaces. This gives you a firm grip making it safe while exercising
- The strapping of the mat makes it easy to store and transport.
- It comes with a two-year warranty which makes it reliably good
Incline fit exercise mat
- The extra thickness of one inch on this mat alleviates stress in the knees, hips and other joints
- The non-slip surface keeps you steady and the mat form on the floor. This keeps you focused on your exercise preventing injuries.
- The thickness makes the mat endure everyday usage regardless of intense exercises. This makes it durable
- The mat is free from heavy metals, latex and phthalate. It therefore safe to those allergic to these substances
- It is very easy to clean. This means that all the sweat and bacteria cannot stay on the mat.
Pro source tri-fold folding thick exercise mat
- The tri-fold design I ideal for storage.
- It has two carrying handles which makes it easy to travel with to any convenient place.
- The thick cushion of this mat provides strong support for intensive exercises.
- The resilient foam of this mat makes it durable.
- The vinyl surface resists the wear and tear.
- It is easy to clean and it comes in a variety of colours.
Stamina fold-to-fit folding equipment mat
- It is placed down to protect carpet and floors
- The non-slip peddle textured surface is easy to clean
- It is 7 by 3 ft. long
- It is used with most exercise equipment like weights, elliptical.
How do I choose the best exercise mat?
Regardless of the exercise, one plans to carry out, whether toning or stretching exercises, a suitable exercise mat is paramount. As a matter of fact, almost every individual is challenged when it comes to which exercise mat to choose. Here are some of the tips to guide on selecting the best exercise mat.
Purpose of the mat
It is very important that before buying the workout mat, one should think about the type of activity he or she is going to do and how frequent he or she is going to train. This is so because yoga mats, Pilate’s mats and exercise mats are different.
The thickness of the mat
Exercise mats are thicker compared to yoga mats and pirate’s mats. The thickness is designed to provide cushion off the hard floor. Therefore, for exercise mats go for thicker mats.
Length of a mat
The length of an exercise mat should be determined by your height. Exercise mats range from 62 to 86 inches long. Choose a mat that is at least 6 inches longer than you are tall.
Width of the mat
When it comes to width, consider the stomach as the guide. Normal width is 20 to 36 inches. For heavy individuals, measure the widest part of your stomach, and then choose a mat that is afoot wider. This will enable you to exercise without hands touching the floor.
Storage of the mat
If you intend to transport your exercise mat either to the workout class or to your workout ground, this is a vital consideration. Choose a mat that has straps for easy transportation. It is not advisable to choose a mat with a bag. This is because, after every workout, airing is needed as this will help to maintain the material.
Lastly for the storage, remember to follow the manufacturers for cleaning and care after use. A clean mat is easier to keep just so you know.
The material of the exercise mat
The material of the exercise mat tells us more about its texture, stickiness, Eco-friendliness, sponginess and how it wears out over time. PVC exercise mats have a good texture, sponginess and they are eco-friendly. If you are allergic to latex avoid rubber exercise mats.
What can I use instead of best exercise mats?
Most of you here you will agree with me that sometimes you may not be in a position to access exercise mats. This could be that either you cannot afford one at home or you don’t like the one at the gym. Do not fallout with regular exercise all in the name of exercise mats. Here are some alternatives you can use so that that you don’t skip the exercise routine.
Use a rolled-up towel
Organic or linen towels are good workout tools in case one does not have an exercise mat. They can provide good cushion on hard surfaces.
Use folded woven blankets
Woven blankets like a cascade, organic handwoven hemp are pretty thick and can provide the cushion that you may need on a hard floor so that you don’t miss out on any exercise.
Use large pieces of fabric
Large pieces of fabric like slub, organic cotton or lightweight organic jersey can be perfect alternatives. The slubs are crafted in a way that allows for various thicknesses along the weave. The textured fabric gives a better grip allowing you to do various workouts.
Can I work out on a carpet?
Much as working from the carpet saves you from buying an exercise mat, and shielding your body from the hard floor, carpet exercising has serious disadvantages that make it inappropriate. These include;
Failure to balance
Exercises which require precise body balance such as cardio kickboxing are very difficult to be performed on the carpet. Since the carpet is a soft fabric, it changes the footing and interrupts the balance.
This is the damage you get when your skin rubs with the carpet. I am sure most of you have experienced his simple plays with our siblings on the carpet.
Wear and tear
Exercising from your carpet will eventually wear it up. The carpet was not initially designed for workouts.
Carpets may not be clean enough for body exercise
Allergens normally hide under carpet fibres which may be unhealthy for your skin as well.
2 thoughts on “Best exercise mats to boost your workout”
Pingback: Can you lose weight by doing yoga? - Forever Super Slim
Pingback: Best home back fat exercises for women - Forever Super Slim