In the world of fitness, the best running watches for women, or fitness watches may be among the most hotly contested fitness gadgets.
If you have been following any of the coverage of the latest fitness gadgets, most notably wearable fitness gadgets, you likely have seen or heard people talking about fitness watches. But you may not have known what they were or why they’re important.
In this article, we are going to learn the best-running watches for women or fitness watches, why they are important, what to consider before picking on any fitness watch, and the downsides of fitness watches. But before, let us begin by knowing what fitness watches are.
The best running watches for women in this article include; Timex iron man essential 10 mid-size watches, Garmin forerunner 35, Garmin forerunner 235, Timex ironman classic 30 full-size, Fitpolo fitness tracker watch, Garmin Vivo active, Timex mid-size ironman rugged 30 watches, DR VIVA GPS watch for Men Women, FITVII smartwatch for Men Women, and Casio STR 300-IC sports watch.
What are fitness watches?
Fitness watches are devices with integrated GPS receivers worn as a bracelet strapped onto a wrist, used for monitoring and tracking fitness-related metrics such as distance walked or run, calorie consumption, and heartbeat.
Fitness watches are a form of wearable computers that can be synced wirelessly to either a computer or smartphone for long term data tracking.
While early models used to only perform basic tasks such as calculations, digital time telling, and translations, current fitness watches have more general functionality closer to smartphones. They support mobile apps, mobile operating systems, and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity.
Some fitness watches work as portable media players, FM radio, and playback of digital audio and video files via a Bluetooth headset.
What are the best running watches for women?
Below are the best running watches for women
- Inbuilt GPS to acquire satellites quickly to track how far, how fast and where you run
- No phone required
- Features a 24/7 heart rate monitoring.
- Vibration alerts notify you of running prompts, activity tracking milestones, smart notifications, and virtual pacing progress.
- Comes with a high-resolution display, perfect for indoor/outdoor viewing
- It features smart connectivity auto uploads, smart notifications, live track, music controls, and automatic SW updates
- Forerunner 235 utilizes Garmin’s very own wrist-based heart rate sensor that tracks 24/7 Activity Tracking Accuracy
- Has a larger screen with, Display size 1.23″ (31.1 mm) diameter, and display resolution 215 x 180 pixels
- A good battery life with 12 weeks in watch mode, 12 hours in training mode and up to 9 days of watch/activity tracking/notifications/heart rate
- Receives audio prompts from your connected smartphone that include laps and lap times
- You can always see the incoming email, text messages, call alerts, calendar reminders and more from your compatible smartphone when paired with a compatible smartphone
- Strap material is made up of silicone.
- History: 200 hours of activity data
- Water rating: 5 ATM
- Adjustable black 16-millimeter resin strap fits up to 8-inch wrist circumference
- 100-hour chronograph with 30-lap memory; 24-hour countdown timer and on-screen prompts that make setting easy forward or backward setting
- 3 daily, weekday or weekend alarms; 24-hour military time mode; 3 time zones; Day, date and month calendar
- Grey and black 38-millimeter resin case with acrylic lens; Grey digital display; Indigo light-up watch dial
- Water-resistant to 100 meters (330 feet): In general, suitable for swimming and snorkeling, but not diving
- The fitness tracker has heart rate and sleep monitor, pedometer while walking or running.
- This fitness watch also has a date and 12/24H time display, Clock alarm, Multiple Interfaces Selection, and Stopwatch.
- Daily Smartwatch can accurately track your all-day activities like active minutes, step counter, distance, and calorie counter. Our fitness tracker watch has 8 exercise modes that help you better understand each specific activity data.
- Heart rate monitor watch tracks real-time heart rate automatically and views the heart rate curve picture from the ‘VeryFitPro’ app.
- The sports watch gives you a better user experience. No need to take it off when you taking a shower or washing your hands.
- Our fitness tracker has 1.3-inch large color screen with 210mAh battery
- It features a display size of 1.2 inches in diameter
- You can personalize your watch with thousands of free watch faces, apps, and widgets from our Connect IQ store.
- More than 15 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, swimming and more
- Monitor your fitness level with VO2 max and fitness made estimates, plus keep an eye on how you handle stress; memory/history: 7 timed activities, 14 days of activity tracking data
- Get connected features such as smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin connect Live Track and more when paired with a compatible smartphone; Strap material: Silicone
- Bold Sport Design
- Sports Stopwatch with 30 Lap Memories
- Countdown Timer & Alarm
- Durable Resin Strap with Buckle Closure
- Indigo Light-Up Watch Dial
- Water-resistant to 100m (330ft): in general, suitable for swimming and snorkeling, but not diving
- Fast and Accurate GPS positioning to acquire satellites quickly to track how far, how fast and where you run
- 24/7 hour monitor & Sleep monitor with 5 Heart Rate zones inside to let you know your status, making the most of each workout
- 7 Running Modes & 17 Sports Mode: Free running, 12-minute cooper test/vo2max, endurance, fat burning, energy mode, time mode, and distance mode.
- Smart Notification & Functions: This fitness tracker watch will vibrate to remind you when you receive Phone Calls, SMS, and SNS.
- Long Battery Life & Compatibility: The fitness tracker smartwatch can work about 7 days with each charge for 2.5 hours. The app requires a smartphone Android 4.4 & IOS 9.0 and above with Bluetooth 4.2.
- FITVII IP68 waterproof-resistant smartwatch can support swimming and all kinds of water activity
- HD colorful touch screen will provide a special and high-quality visual experience, and make you enjoy checking your data on the screen.
- Automatically and effectively track your heart rate, sleep, and blood pressure throughout the day and night.
- The activity tracker can record all sports data while exercising, and give you vivid data about your fitness.
- It tracks your GPS map during running on the App, and multiple functions like the female, stopwatch, timer, and pedometer also provide convenience for your work and life.
- FITVII smartwatch will vibrate to remind you of the incoming call, message, and SNS contents including Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Twitter after connection with App via Bluetooth.
- FITVII smartwatch can be compatible with all android smartphone and iPhone (IOS 9.0 or above and Android 4.4 or above).
- Good battery where 2-Hour full charging can hold 3-7 working days.
- Round running watch featuring auto LED light, four daily alarms, pace signal, distance calculation, and stopwatch with 60 lap memory
- 35 mm resin case with mineral dial window
- Japanese quartz movement with digital display
- Resin band with buckle closure
- Water-resistant to 50 m that is to say, suitable for short periods of recreational swimming, but not diving or snorkeling
- Adjustable blue 12mm resin strap fits up to 7.5-inch wrist circumference
- 100-hour chronograph with 10-lap memory; 24-hour countdown timer
- Customizable alarm; 24-hour military time mode; 2 time zones; day, date & month calendar
- Blue 34mm resin case with acrylic lens; grey digital display; Indigo light-up watch dial
- Water-resistant to 100m (330ft): in general, suitable for swimming and snorkeling, but not diving
What do running watches for women do?
Apart from counting our steps, fitness watches can monitor and track a number of fitness-related metrics. Let us look at some of these metrics so that you can optimize your time with these devices.
Fitness watches have GPS receivers that can locate your running, walking, and cycling routes. This is important for mapping exercise and reviewing factors such as terrain and hills. This information is good for individuals who are eager for results.
GPS is also good for the security purposes of people or children that exercise outdoors. They can easily be located in case of danger.
2. Heart rate
Fitness watches also track your heart rate. This however may be slightly different from what a health professional may record. This is because the blood pumping monitored works via shining light through your skin which is examined and returned.
3. Calorie counting
Fitness watches provide for manual logging of calorie intake, so you can always check what you eat, more so if you’re trying to lose weight. These gadgets estimate calories burned throughout the day for example the steps are taken, stairs, stationary time, and active time.
4. Blood pressure
The latest fitness watches can monitor blood pressure. This is the intensity at which blood is being pumped around your body. However, these are not accurate and may slightly differ from those measured by doctors.
5. Body composition
This is good for you if you want to monitor the changes in your body fat over time. Information collected helps in encouraging, motivating, and giving us a good picture of the changes we’re making to our bodies.
6. Multi-task gadgets
Some fitness watches such as Fitbit Versa Smartwatch are said to capture real-time statistics on more than 15 activities. An ultimate must-have for lovers of various workouts and exercises.
I am sure all of you trying to lose weight, know how important sleep is. Motion sensors in fitness watches give the waking dreamer guidance on how they sleep, how their sleep is interrupted, and how much-uninterrupted sleep they’ve had.
What should I look for in running watches/factors to consider before picking on any fitness watch?
With so many fitness watches on the market, it can be difficult to choose a fitness watch that can suit your needs. Buying the right fitness watch guarantees you an accurate, comprehensive, and easy-to-understand layout of your health. The right fitness watch will be based on your needs, whether it is running, cycling, swimming, measuring heart rate, or just keeping an eye on your steps.
Below are the factors we think you should look for in the best-running watches for women.
1. Your budget
Fitness watches vary in price and each price segment comes with added features. The latest generation offers a wide range of features to pick from at affordable prices. Always find a fitness watch that suits you depending on how much you are willing or able to offer.
2. Display quality
Since fitness watches come with small screens and that they are used outdoor, you must be able to see and read the information on these screens under sunlight. So, make sure you go to a fitness watch with a good display. So that you don’t squint when reading the information on these screens while you’re exercising.
For those of you who take your exercises seriously, accuracy must be on your list of priorities. If a fitness watch is accurate on some days but not on others, you won’t know whether to make progress improving. Always test the fitness watch out before you buy it.
Fitness watches come in different shapes, styles, and sizes. That said, most fitness watches are meant to be worn constantly. Therefore anything strapped to your arm should be of an appealing design to you. Always first try on the running watch before you buy it.
5. What you want to track
Always make sure that you pick on a running watch that has the features that you want to avoid wasting money on what you won’t use. Most fitness watches keep track of step, distance, calories, and activity. More advanced ones come with GPS, sleep trackers, and more. Just make sure that you pick on a watch that has exactly what you are looking for.
6. Battery life
Using a fitness watch could become irritating if you have to change frequently. Make sure that you pick on a fitness watch with a good battery life history. Some models go for coin-cell batteries, like a watch, and these will last several months before replacing is needed.
For the case of buying the right fitness watch, the aspect of water-resistance can often be a deciding factor. Always check the markings on your fitness watch or the manufacturer’s website before picking on a fitness watch if you intend to use it in a pool. Sweat can also affect a fitness watch so make sure it’s sweat friendly too.
8. Heart rate monitor
Fitness watches should come with heart rate monitors. This helps the user to measure his or her pulse and heart rate and intensity of your activity to avoid overdoing certain exercises.
Regular fitness watches track the number of steps you take daily. However, picking on a fitness watch that features a GPS lets you track more aspects. The GPS helps to map your routes, detect your pace, and provide statistics for your workouts, for example, the distance you have covered daily.
10. Integration with other devices like smartphones
Some fitness watches show notifications from your smartphone and other gadgets. Other modified ones let you respond to text messages, make calls, and control your music. Therefore, pick on a fitness watch that can integrate or easily connect with other devices.
Are running watches worth it?
Running watches for women are worth the money and time that you invest because of the following benefits that accrue to the uses.
1. promote a healthy lifestyle
Apart from being a pedometer, most fitness watches can track activity, nutrition, and calories burned. Some can also monitor heart rate and blood pressure. This data can help you attain your fitness goals quickly as well as general body health.
2. quick access to notifications
With running watches for women, you don’t need to move with your phone in the pocket. The fitness watch gives you easy access to notifications such as calls, texts, calendar alerts, news alerts, and more. You can easily decide to take action or later after your workouts when you read the notification.
High-end fitness watches usually offer convenient features such as NFC this allows you to make cashless payments. Others have LTE cellular capabilities to enable you to send texts and make calls even in the absence of your phone.
4. some offer audio and video features
In most cases, fitness watches outcompete other gadgets when it comes to entertainment. This is because they allow you to watch a movie and play music at your place and time of convenience. You can always connect ear pads and listen to your favorite songs.
Disadvantages of running watches /fitness watches
The common disadvantages associated with using running watches for women include;
A good fitness watch costs anywhere from $50 to $250. Cheaper options exist but most of the cheaper ones aren’t very good. The more features you want, the more you should expect to spend. For example, running watches with features such as GPS and a heart-rate monitor also cost extra.
2. Inaccurate results
According to a 2015 meta-analysis of the accuracy of fitness watches by the international journal of behavioral nutrition and physical activity, It was established that these devices do a great job of tracking steps, but they’re not so great at measuring other parameters. They tend to underestimate the distance you travel when going fast, and they overestimate when you’re moving slowly they overestimate total sleep time and the number of calories spent.
3. Loss of Interest
Often, people whole buy fitness devices lose interest in them after a while. In fact, according to a market study by Endeavour partners, it was found that out of 3 users, stopped wearing the device within six months of buying it.
4. Obsession with numbers
Another serious issue with fitness watches is that they make you focus so much on numbers but not how exercises make you feel. People also rely on devices to tell whether you are healthy or not rather than listening to your own body
There are many running/fitness watches in the market, but knowing the best brand for you is very important. Best running watches for women with many features but most importantly; go for ones that monitoring your workout, location, and the state of your health.
So hopefully our guide helped you find the right watch for you. Leave us a comment if you have questions, happy running.
Subscribe for weekly insights on faster weight loss and good health.