Are you thinking of doing jump rope for leisure, competition, or weight loss? Then you should learn the best way to do the exercise, how to set your jumping rope, and how to choose the best jumping rope. You will also be able to answer the question; can you lose weight by jumping rope?
You can actually lose significant weight by jumping a rope. Doing jump rope has many benefits like burning to around 1,600 calories in an hour, toning your legs, and butt among others.
In this article we shall be looking at how to use a jump rope and answer the question; Can you lose weight by jumping rope? Let’s dive right into a few frequently asked questions about jumping a rope for exercise
How to use a jump rope for exercise
These are a few easy steps that will help you use a jump rope for exercise.
- Start by holding the handles of the rope with elbows close to your side and hands at waist height with the rope behind you on the ground.
- Your knees, hips, and feet should be relaxed.
- Using your wrists and forearms not shoulders, swing the rope forward overhead.
- Jump as the rope comes around. Swing first then jump next.
- Land on the balls of your feet around the toe area and don’t put your heels down.
- Keep the momentum as you count your jumps.
How to adjust your jump rope for the best results.
Using the right length of jump rope can increase effectiveness and prevent injury. Here is a quick rope set up.
- Stand on the rope mid-point placing your feet on the rope leaving a gap of 1-2 inches between your feet. Each end should be an equal length from the midpoint.
- Pull the rope taut with handles reaching below the armpit. With that length and measurement, adjust your rope to match it.
- Cut off the excess wire or rope material.
Can you lose weight by jumping rope?
In order to lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit. It simply means that you need to burn more calories than you consume.
Jumping rope is a full-body workout that can burn many calories in a short time.
On average, a 150 lb person jumping at 1 jump per second (which is 60 jumps per minute) will burn over 100 calories in 10 minutes.
A 200 lb person jumping at 2 jumps per second (which is 120 per minute) will burn around 300 calories in 15 minutes.
The number of calories burned while jumping rope depends on the weight of the person, skipping intensity, and time taken.
However, jumping rope cannot be an effective weight loss strategy alone. It is better to understand how weight loss works.
Creating a calorie deficit as said earlier is the main weight loss strategy. Therefore, think about how many calories you consume in a day. This means that your diet is very essential too while trying to lose weight by jumping rope.
Running and jump rope all can leave you sweating and gasping for air. They are both good calorie burners but what should you choose?
Should you choose skipping over running.
There is convenience in skipping over running. Jumping can be done at any time and at home while running can’t be done indoors unless on a treadmill.
The change of scenery while running gives a more fun workout than jump rope which is done in a stationary place.
Fitness experts say that jumping rope for 10 minutes is equivalent to running a mile in 8 minutes. It is estimated that one hour of skipping can burn around 1,600 calories. Can this really be compared to running?
Let’s break down the facts.
According to the American Council on Exercise, a person who weighs 155 pounds and jumps the rope fast can burn around 400 calories in a half an hour workout. While on the run, 30 minutes at 7mph burns the same number of calories.
In summary, whether to choose jumping rope or running all will depend on your preference. With both, you can achieve weight loss.
For proper comparison, read about Running for weight loss – Will I really lose weight? This interesting article tackles most asked questions about running for weight loss. It answers questions about how many calories one can burn while running and how to get the most out of running for weight loss. Have a read by clicking here.
How to stay healthy and get the best out of skipping a rope for weight loss.
It is very important to get the best out of your workouts. That means your jump rope workouts should deliver the desired results, whether it be weight loss or fitness.
Warm-ups get the body ready for an intense workout. Many body risks are associated with exercising without warm-up, jump rope is no exception.
20 jumping jacks, 10 squats and 10 lunges on each leg can be enough warm-up before jumping rope.
Choosing the right gear.
For every workout, the right gear should be used to prevent injuries and increase effectiveness. This applies to skipping too. You can see a post we have written with our recommended workout shoes. The sneakers in this article are surprisingly all under $50, which is quite reasonable if you are looking to get things going from the right foot. Take a quick read here, before you can continue with tips on skipping a rope.
Exercising in random sneakers can cause injury to the foot and leg muscles. It is better to workout in athletic shoes preferably cross-training shoes which can absorb the impact on your feet as you land.
Athletic shoes also easily bend along with landings and have got good aeration to keep your feet dry without sweat.
As you work out, your body loses water through sweat. It is recommended to stay hydrated by drinking water during skipping and time after.
It should be half your body weight in ounces. For instance, if you weigh 200 pounds, you should drink around 100 ounces of water throughout the day.
Start out slow and increase gradually.
Avoid beginner’s excitement and do thousands of jumps on the first day. Start out slow and gradually increase the number of jumps as your body gets more flexible and stronger.
Eat healthy nutrient-dense foods.
Your body will need the right amounts of nutrients of food in order to heal and perform effectively. A good diet is a must, which contains all the important nutrients.
The best foods to eat are weight loss-friendly foods. These are foods high in nutrients yet low in calories or added sugars. Learn more about weight loss-friendly foods that will help you lose weight. The article basically shows you foods you can eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Read the article here.
Skip on soft surfaces.
To reduce chances of injury, skip on flat and soft surfaces. This is aimed at reducing the impact of jumps on your joints and feet. Skipping on a gym floor or exercise mat can be much safer while at home without the gym floor or exercise mat, a grass patch can work it out. I personally use my workout mat to do the skipping, it still workouts out fine.
How to choose the right rope for skipping.
If you are a beginner, the type of rope being used matters a lot. Choosing the right rope and setting it to the right lengths will help you.
Here is what you should consider while getting a skipping rope.
- A heavier jump rope is the best suit for beginners. It helps to slow down your rotation and offer more feedback during jumping. This kind of rope will help you time your jumps with fewer trip-ups and much faster learning.
- If jump rope is intended to be your main workout exercise, weighted jump ropes should be chosen.
- If possible, choose a jump rope with comfortable handles preferably made of strong materials like metal or rubber.
What rope can I buy?
Buying the right type of rope can help you work out effectively.
Here are my best Amazon picks for the vest ropes.
- Made of foam plus PVC handles, steel wire rope coated with PVC. This ensures durability and maximum service life.
- It is smooth and fast designed with a bearing system which helps to avoid the rope from twisting.
- This rope is tangle-free
- Fully adjustable rope for use by people of all ages and heights.
- It is made from thickened braided steel with a PVC coated to prevent it from cracking and breaking.
- Made from a tangle-free material with an anti-dust ball bearing system to avoid it from twisting, breaking, winding and bending.
- An adjustable length designed with a 9.8 ft which is easy to adjust making it suitable for all ages.
- The handles are comfortable coated with 6-inch soft foam. The material is breathable, comfortable, and non-slip to make jump rope easy.
Jump rope workout benefits
- It is healthy for the foot and ankle joints helping you reduce the chances of leg injuries.
- Jumping rope burns calories with a burn rate of up to 1300 calories per hour of vigorous exercising.
- Jumping rope can improve bone density and makes the body healthier. The exercise of jumping up and down is good for the bones.
- It can help you improve your breathing efficiency and build up stamina.
- This exercise can help you calm and fight stress.
- Increased muscle engagement since jumping rope targets many different muscles of the legs, arms, and body at large.
- Improved mental sharpness since the exercise involves the use of arm and leg movements at different stages. It helps in the development of the left and right hemisphere of the brain which enhances spatial awareness, increases memory and brain health as a whole.
How long should I jump rope a day to lose weight?
For weight loss, you should be in a calorie deficit. Therefore, it depends on the number of calories you need to burn, then with that you can estimate the time you need to exercise for weight loss.
To fully estimate the time you need to work out for weight loss, you should consider the intensity, your body weight, and calorie burning target.
However, on average, you need at least 30 minutes of exercise with breaks inclusive. 30 minutes a day while working out 5 days a week will help you burn a good number of calories thus weight loss.
Does Jump Rope Burn Belly Fat?
Just like any other exercise, jumping the rope can burn calories and fat. However, jumping rope doesn’t directly burn belly fat.
It is not a spot reducing workout for the belly like how the planks are.
It is important to note that jumping rope will help burn overall body fat around the whole body on parts like the thighs, arms, and belly inclusive.
Jumping rope is not a belly burning magic exercise but will definitely help you burn fat around the belly if done effectively and while following a good diet.
Is jump rope a good cardio workout?
To start with, cardio is any exercise or workout that gets your heart pumping fast and majorly target large muscle groups. Examples of cardio exercises are running, jogging, jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, and more.
Jump rope is also a great cardio workout but can it be compared to other cardio exercises? Or is it enough to be used as a cardio workout?
Fun, fitness, and weight loss are some of the major factors in choosing a cardio workout.
Jump rope burns to around 1,300 calories per hour of intense workout and it is a workout with different variations. Jump rope can also be done with family and friends which means that it is a fun workout.
You can lose weight by jumping rope. This summarizes that jump rope is a worthy exercise since it burns a great number of calories, is fun, and makes the whole body healthy.
Does skipping tone legs?
Jumping rope has many benefits and toning the legs is among too. The act of jumping up and down will help burn fat around the lower body area. This will help you tone the legs, quads, and glute areas.
Yeah, that’s right it’s a butt exercise too. It targets the lower body helping you get in shape with perfect calves, thighs, quads, and glutes.
The bottom line.
Whether you are jumping rope for sport, fun, or weight loss, you should do it in the right way to prevent injury and for effectiveness.
To answer the question of ”Can you lose weight by jumping rope?”, it is possible to lose weight if jumping is done right with consistency and a healthy diet.
Subscribe for weekly insights on faster weight loss and good health.