I always tell my teammates that effective body exercise may not necessarily depend on how strong or energetic you maybe, but on the workout equipment you employ. Thus said, incorporating dumbbells to your body exercises or workouts is not any different. With strength training, a set of dumbbells for women is one of the most important tools that should not miss in your fitness library.
Well, what are dumbbells?
Dumbbells are hand weights that are used to practice strength training. They usually come in pairs since most dumbbell exercises are carried out with a pair of dumbbells. A set of dumbbells at home is very important if have no time for the gym, yet you have to fix a workout in your daily routine. Weight lifting increases your muscle mass and metabolism which eventually will help you lose weight and become smaller and leaner.
However, not all dumbbells are perfect dumbbells for women. Some women don’t have experience in lifting weights and are finding it hard to get a high-quality pair.
We carried out some research on a number of dumbbell sets that will increase your strength, metabolism and help you lose weight.
The best dumbbells for women include; Valeo Neoprene Hand Weights for Fitness Training, AmazonBasics Neoprene Dumbbell Weight Pair, RitFit Set of Two Neoprene Dumbbells Coated for Non-Slip Grip, BalanceFrom GoFit All-Purpose Dumbbells in Pair, BalanceFrom GoFit All-Purpose Dumbbells in Pair, AmazonBasics Vinyl Dumbbell Weight Pair, Fitness Republic Neoprene Dumbbell Pairs, FreeHand Weights (Combos), Crown Sporting Goods Set,
What are the best dumbbell sets for women?
Let us break down the above dumbbell sets and do an in-depth analysis of the features.
1. Valeo Neoprene Hand Weights for Fitness Training
- Tones & strengthens muscles
- Neoprene coating provides a non-slip grip and protection against calluses
- It is available in 2lbs, 3lbs, 5lbs, and 10 lbs weights
- It has a guide with exercises included for weight training made easy
2. AmazonBasics Neoprene Dumbbell Weight Pair, Set of 2
- It comes with 3 pairs of dumbbells i.e 2-pound, 3-pound, and 5-pound sizes
- Good for resistance training
- Neoprene coating on weights give a firm grip
- Used both indoor and outdoor use
- Easy-to-assemble the weight and stand
3. RitFit Set of Two Neoprene Dumbbells Coated for Non-Slip Grip, 1 lb-20 lb
- Cast iron and neoprene coating gives a comfortable
- The hex shape prevents rolling
- Good for building muscles in arms, shoulders, and back
- Incremental weights between 1lb and 20lb allow you to vary the intensity of your workouts
4. Yes4All Hexagon Neoprene Coated Dumbbell (Pair)
- Tones and sculpt your arms, shoulders, and back
- Yes4All high-quality Neoprene is more durable & less prone to splitting.
- does not require gloves since neoprene coating provides a comfy grip on hands.
- Hexagonal shaped heads prevent the dumbbells from rolling away from the storage place or during your exercise
- Used for indoor or outdoor workout regimes.
5. BalanceFrom GoFit All-Purpose Dumbbells in Pair
- It consists of 3 pairs of dumbbells in 3-pound, 5-pound, and 8-pound sizes.
- Ideal for resistance training
- Durable and good for both indoor and outdoor workouts
- Neoprene coating on weights gives you a comfortable grip.
- Easy to Assemble.
- It comes with a 2-year Warranty
6. AmazonBasics Vinyl Dumbbell Weight Pair, Set of 2
- It is a set of 2 dumbbells with 5 pounds each
- Steel dumbbell with colorful vinyl exterior coating for a strong, non-slip grip
- Good for intensive workouts such as walking, jogging, and aerobics.
- It comes with different weights.
- Sculpt muscles and burn calories during exercise.
7. Fitness Republic Neoprene Dumbbell Pairs, FreeHand Weights (Combos)
- Good for indoor and outdoor regimens since the dumbbells sets take very little space
- Neoprene Coating gives a comfortable grip.
- Builds strength and Improves muscle tones
- Neoprene dumbbell sets are good for aerobics, light lifting at home, heavier lifting, bodybuilding, and toning
- Comes with a warranty 12 Months
8. Crown Sporting Goods Set
- It does not require gloves since cast iron wrapped with a thick coat gives a comfy grip.
- Easy to store and perfect for travel.
- Good for indoor or outdoor workout regimes.
- Good for arm rows, squats, chest presses, bicep curls, walking, jogging, & yoga
9. CAP Barbell Neoprene Coated Single Dumbbell
- Dumbbells offer the ability to target specific muscle group exercises or a full-body workout
- The Hex Shaped heads prevent rolling.
- The medium diameter handle provides essential grip and security during use.
- Neoprene coating is durable and protective
- Perfect for training individual muscle groups or major muscle groups
- These dumbbell pairs are available in the following sizes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 15 lbs
10. WF Athletic Supply Dumbbell Set with Storage Rack
- Dumbbells offer the ability to target specific muscle groups or get a full-body workout.
- Iron core made from ASTM A48 Grade 20 grey iron then precision dipped in 3mm of neoprene for safety and comfort.
- Original Hex Shaped heads prevent rolling. The medium diameter handle provides essential grip and security during use. Neoprene coating is durable and protective.
- Perfect for training individual muscle groups or major muscle groups, HIIT training and walking.
- it comes with 5 pairs of dumbbells in 2-pound, 3-pound, 5-pound, 8-pound, and 10-pound sizes
- It has dumbbell Rack
What exercises can you do with dumbbells?
To be honest, the best starting point to set a home gym is to have a set of dumbbells. They are versatile and support any type of strength training exercise. With dumbbells, women can do the major body movements including;
- Hip Thrusts
- Single-Leg or Split variations of the above
- Shoulder Press
- Chest Press
- Bicep Curls
- Triceps Extensions
- Lateral Raises
- Upright Rows
- Single-Arm variations of the above
What should you consider when purchasing dumbbell for women?
Selecting the best dumbbell for the job may be challenging at times. For many women who are beginners, and are simply looking to strength training at home, almost all dumbbell sets may work well. Here are some of the features you may consider before picking on a particular dumbbell.
Cast iron and rubber-encased ends are among the most durable dumbbells. You don’t need to be replacing the dumbbells frequently as this may affect your workouts. Neoprene and vinyl normally peel with frequent use.
This allows you to firmly hold the dumbbells during a workout session to avoid any form of accidents
When the ends of a dumbbell are made in a hexagon-like shape, it keeps the dumbbell in one place without rolling off. This is very common with heavyweight dumbbells.
The type of exercise
Most times you may have to know the particular exercise for a particular set of dumbbells. With yoga and aerobics strength training, neoprene and vinyl dumbbells can work better compared to other types.
Last but not least, look at your budget, and buy a dumbbell set that fits your pocket. Individual and low weight dumbbells are cheaper compared to adjustable and multiple dumbbells.
Do dumbbells build muscles?
Most people think that in order to build muscle mass, you have to lift heavy weights like heavy barbells. As a matter of fact, this is a misconception. Huge weight exercises are not necessary. To gain a lot of lean muscle mass, start small with light or medium dumbbells.
How long does it take to tone muscles with dumbbells for women?
According to Medical News Today, it takes several weeks to months of persistent workouts before you notice muscle mass increase. This process is termed as muscle hypertrophy.
Muscle hypertrophy takes place when muscle fibers are damaged. The body, therefore, repairs damaged muscles by fusing them. This, in turn, increases fiber mass and size. Hormones such as growth hormones and testosterone play a role in the growth and repair process through enhancing tissue growth and improving the process of proteins in the body.
What size of dumbbells for women should you use?
Knowing the right size of dumbbells for women to use is a tough one. Most especially if you have not used dumbbells before during strength training. Selecting the best dumbbell for your goal is important for a good start. Because too light weights won’t benefit you and much heavier weights put you at risk of injury. Therefore the size of the dumbbell depends on the type of exercise. During any workout season, you will come across exercises that require light, medium or heavyweights. Always talk to your trainer for help.
Can you lose weight using dumbbells for women?
During body exercise, weight loss can be achieved in different ways.
First, the body creates a calorie deficiency by burning more calories compared to the intake. At this point, the body burns fat stores to release the energy needed. According to the American Council on Exercise, calorie counter estimates that if you weigh 160 pounds, an hour of weightlifting will burn about 217 calories.
Secondly, the lean muscles built are more active metabolically compared to fats. Therefore adding muscle will help to increase metabolism and burn more calories even when you are at rest.
What weight dumbbells should beginners use?
We advise you to start light and aim at improving your form of movements. Your goal should be to complete 3 sets of 10 – 15 reps of each exercise with perfect technique. Once this has been achieved, gradually increase your dumbbell weight by between 2.5lb – 10lb depending on your strength and the movement pattern until completing 1 set of 10 – 15 reps is moderately challenging by the final rep.
If you found this article helpful, you might be interested in another one we have written about;
The best women’s home gym equipment below $50.
3 thoughts on “Best dumbbells for women; check out our recommendations.”
Pingback: How to choose the best workout gloves for women - Forever Super Slim
Pingback: The best workouts to lose arm fat - Forever Super Slim
Pingback: Best home back fat exercises for women - Forever Super Slim