Working out is one of the popular strategies for weight loss. Workouts are so beneficial linked to benefits like improved mood, reduced risk of getting diseases, and a healthy body. But what may be the best exercises for fat burning? It would be a heartbreak doing exercise for over 3 months and no progress at all.
Still, you are not encouraged to embark on hard workouts because there is no need to break your body down. That’s why it must be a gradual process. There are over a thousand workouts in and out of the gym.
Some that involve the use of equipment like stationary bikes, rowers, and many more while other workouts don’t need equipment taking the example of walking, crunches, and others.
We have found some of the best exercises for fat burning to be; walking, crunches, situps, running, mountain climbing, knee pushups, Russian twists, squats, and planks. These don’t need any special gym equipment and can be done while at home or outside your house.
What are the reasons for weight gain?
Before we get into the best exercises for fat burning for women, let’s first explore some of the reasons for weight gain. As the saying goes;
Knowing the disease is half the cure.
It would be useless trying to cut weight while still doing the same things that get you overweight. There will definitely be no progress, and that’s the biggest source of frustration. There are plenty of reasons why one may gain fat.
It’s not bad gaining fat, in fact, it’s healthy but when fat becomes too much that’s the problem. A number of reasons bring about weight gain. Some are healthy and others are just our daily activities. These include;
1. Insulin intake by diabetic patients
Diabetes patients that take insulin have got a side effect of weight gain. This is due to the measure they take in order to prevent hypoglycemia which is low blood sugar. And also one of the functions of insulin is to tell fat cells to store fat. So for people taking insulin, the effect is multiplied since it is supplied to the body in large quantities.
2. Aging is a weight gain factor too.
This is so because as people tend to grow older, they become less active. An increase in activity might help you avoid putting on excess weight.
3. Food addictions in some people will, of course, lead to weight gain.
Some times people may get so attached to eating and with this, the body will have more calories than it burns thus weight gain. Usually, the attachment is towards eating ‘the wrong’ foods like too many chocolates and other sweetened foods which inturn gets one adding extra weight.
4. Weight gain can also be due to genetic factors.
Some people are generally easy fat gainers than others. This is interestingly true!
5. Stress and low moods affect people differently.
Some lose weight while others just gain weight. The people who eat as a stress coping measure gain weight. Then, the sight of gaining weight stresses them more hence one leading to the other while creating a cycle.
6. Prolonged lack of sleep
People who tend to get less sleep will always feel tired, less active, and will usually turn to eat in order to boost their energy levels. This causes an increase in calorie intake than the body can burn thus weight gain.
7. Increase in appetite due to use of some medicines
Some pharmaceutical drugs increase appetite whereas some may interfere with calorie breakdown. Other drugs will make you less active which in turn might gain you more weight.
8. Lack of enough physical activity
Being physically less active is a sure win for weight gain. Not involving in activities that make you sweat could be another reason for weight gain. Or, just that job where you sit from morning till the sunsets.
Other weight gain reasons
- Perimenopause and menopause
- Water retention due to dehydration
- Heart failure
- Kidney problems
- Underactive thyroid.
What exercise burns the most belly fat?
Belly fat is one of the most stubborn fat types. It’s one of those really annoying things to the point of not being able to wear that cool dress.
Think about it; You have a nice dress and are looking towards an occasion, then the day before the occasion you try it on and boom your tummy makes it look terrible on you.
That definitely feels sad. Apart from belly fat making you look horrible, it has health risks too. Diabetes, heart disease, and some types of cancer may occur due to belly fat.
The good news is, you can beat this stubborn fat! That’s why you are here reading the best exercises for fat burning. Most fat burning exercises burn belly fat too. Get me here right, there are exercises that are targeted to the belly but most of all other fat burning exercises reduce belly fat too.
Below is a list of exercises and their most targeted area.
What exercises burn fat quickly without gym equipment?
With all these exercises start slow and increase gradually for better results of fat burning. Fine, you may want the tummy fat off real quick but don’t break yourself down. And always don’t forget a 10-minute warm-up.
Important note: These exercises will not work overnight, that’s, why it is very important, to make these a habit or choosing days where you never miss them for any reason. The results will show after these have been done in the way of habit.
Some of these will need a workout mat. See our list of best mats you can choose from here.
Target: Entire body fat.
How to do it.
- Start really slow at a pace of about 5mph
- After a minute increase the pace to about 6-8mph for a minute.
- Slow down to a pace of 5mph for a minute. (This will act as a resting period)
- Increase the pace again to 6-8mph for a minute.
Sets and Reps.
For about 10 -20 minutes.
Target: Lower, belly and upper abs.
How To Do it.
- Lie down on a mat, flex your knees, and lift your feet off the floor.
- Hold the back of your hand with your thumbs at the back of your ears
- Lift your head off the floor. This is the starting position.
- Start by curling up and trying to reach your knees with your head.
- Go back to the starting position.
Tip: Make sure you inhale while curling up and exhale while going down.
Sets and reps
4 sets of 6 reps
Body target: Lower and upper abs.
How To Do it
- Lie on a mat, flex your knees, and place your heels on the mat. Engage your core and place your hands on your thighs. Lift your head and shoulders off the floor and look at your knees. This is the starting position.
- Use your core strength to lift your body off the floor and come to a sitting position.
- Go back down to the starting position slowly.
Sets and reps: 4 sets of 8 reps
Body target: Full body. (one of the best fat burners)
How to do it.
- Start off slow with jogging at a pace of about 6mph
- Keep on gradually increasing up to about 10mph and maintain.
- Slow down to catch breath to about 6mph
- Then increase again
- Sets and reps:
- Run for at least 10-15 minutes.
5. Mountain climbers
Body target: Core and other muscles
How to do it
- Get into a high-plank position with your wrists directly under your shoulders.
- Keep your core tight, drawing your belly button in toward your spine.
- Drive your right knee toward your chest and then bring it back to plank.
- Then, drive your left knee toward your chest and bring it back.
- Continue to alternate sides.
Reps and sets: 4 sets of 8
6. Knee push-ups
Body target: core, triceps, upper back, and chest
- Kneel on a mat with hands down at a shoulder-length with your back parallel to the floor.
- Slowly bend your elbows as you lower your chest to the floor.
- Push through the palms of your hands to straighten your arms and go back to the starting position.
- Repeat the process.
Sets and reps: 4 sets of 8 reps
7. Russian twists
Body target: Obliques, full tummy, and glutes.
How to do it.
- Sit on the mat, lift both your legs, keep your knees flexed, and lean back a little. Join your palms to balance your body. This is the starting position.
- Twist your upper body to the left and then to the right.
Sets and reps:b2 sets of 20 reps.
How to do it
- Stand with your feet shoulder length apart with your hands placed on your hips.
- Bend your knees while keeping your upper body as straight as possible, like you are trying to sit on an invisible chair behind you.
- Lower yourself as far as you can without leaning your upper body more than a few inches forward.
- straighten your legs and go back to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement. You can increase the speed if desired.
Sets and reps
Repeat for 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps.
Body target: Upper abs, lower abs, shoulders, biceps, and glutes.
How to do it
- Kneel down on a mat.
- Place your elbows on the mat.
- Extend your right leg back and then your left leg.
- Keep your neck, back, and hips in the same line. Keep your core engaged.
- Hold this pose for at least 30 seconds.
Sets and reps
3 sets of 30-60 seconds hold
Exercise with gym equipment.
The treadmill is a great fat burner due to the number of calories it can burn in a short time. It’s not necessary that you have to sprint throughout, even a walk or simple jog counts. However, you should still be on a pace that makes you sweat but gives you time for a conversation.
Spend 5 minutes running, drop to a slower pace that can let you breathe and take a rest. Keep alternating with a 5-minute walk to 10-minute jogging. Spend 30 to 45 minutes on a trend mill
The rowing machine
Begin slowly with rests in between. For every 30 seconds of rowing, take 15 seconds of rest. And don’t stress so much on the distance covered, start slow but try to beat your last distance. Repeat this 8-10 times.
The stationary bike is a simplified cardio workout. I would say it’s a little safer than any other talking of the treadmill where you can fall off. It does the same effect relating to running or walking outside. With various levels on a stationary bike, start out slow and increase gradually. For any workout to be effective always try to make it a little challenging.
Don’t fear the prices of stationary bikes. I wrote an article about affordable and durable stationary bikes. You can read the article here :
What are the fun alternatives to workouts?
Workouts can be hard and their commitments hard to match. Most people would like an alternative to doing exercises. The good news is, even your daily outdoor hobbies can burn calories. I don’t mean taking a chessboard outside if it’s your hobby. No, the hobbies that burn fat are those that involve you physically.
- Softball or baseball
- Mountain climbing
So feel free to involve get involved in physical hobbies they might not only be fun but good body shapers too.
Related article: How to lose weight without exercise.
Can you lose weight with just cardio?
From walking, swimming, cycling to fitness classes, all is cardio. Either without machines or with machines like treadmills and rowers, cardio is known to be one of the most effective and best exercises for fat burning. When you talk about weight loss, burning fat must be mentioned.
Most exercises that make you sweat out are a good fat burners. This means cardio is a great fat burner if done in the right way; with a required intensity.
Slow or lazily reps won’t give you the desired result. One simple rule for weight loss is “put the excuses aside”. Push your self beyond your limits, if you have decided to lose weight through exercise.
You may also be asking yourself questions like:
Is working out 30 minutes a day enough to lose weight?
The answer is yes and no. Let me not get you confused but weight loss will depend on a variety of factors like your weight, age, number of sets and reps performed, your diet, commitment, and daily activities. Putting in more effort for effective and many sets or reps will make 30 minutes enough. So it all depends on you.
To get the most out of your workouts, consider choosing physical activities that burn the most calories in the least period of time. Also, more vigorous intensity workouts will bring better results sooner.