In 2014, PLOS One had a study in which it was established that the increased intake and consumption of refined carbohydrates posed a threat to one’s body health –with an increased risk of heart disease, type-2-diabetes, and cancers. All pointing to high protein foods with low carbs.
The increased intake of high protein foods with low carbs not only puts to bay those health concerns but also promotes weight loss for those with overweight. A deep read of this article will show you all you have to know about high protein foods with low carbs.
The High Protein Foods with low carbs
Proteins are an essential building stone to a healthy body. From tissues repair, fortifying bones, cartilage, and muscles to everything in our bodies like the skin, blood, and bones, the proteins have a positive effect on all of it.
On the other hand, few carbohydrates can have remarkable health benefits too. A diet on low carbs will keep you feeling full and cutting down on the rate you get hunger –contributing to weight loss.
To fully incorporate the high-protein, low carb diet, here are some of the foods you could try out during different meals of the day;
Read about the Paleo Diet here
High Protein Foods with low carbs: The Diet plan
Taking the decision to follow through with a high protein low carb diet is not an easy choice for someone who has always enjoyed their carbohydrates that are prepared and served well.
However, when we break down these choices, they zero down to the number of exercises to have, how healthy you are, and how much weight to lose.
Therefore, the best low carb diet plan to follow should include;
- Healthy oils
- High-fat dairy
- Non-gluten grains
Read about the Protein Foods with low Fat here
What Happens When You don’t eat carbs
Carbohydrates rich foods have got a tremendous impact on general health, but most time we cut down on their consumption to lose weight. Here is what may befall you when you cut down on your carbs intake;
Loss of water weight
This, in almost all cases, whenever you start eating very low carbs, you will lose water weight within a short spell of time. This can be noticed in your unfitting clothes.
The medical personnel tells us that the food rich in carbohydrates will keep and hold on the water in your bodies. By cutting down on carbs we give the body an option to utilize the water stored in other forms hence water weight loss.
This is the first noticeable change in the weight loss journey. This evidence and result will boost someone to put in the work to have the desired weight. Eventually, in a longer period of time, the person will lose the non-water weight.
Health Concerns in Long run
A study done has linked diseases like cancers, heart disease, to the low consumption of carbohydrates in the long period of time.
Read here about the study.
This may not be conclusive but an over-limit to carbs will definitely affect your overall health. For this reason, it’s not advisable for infants and teenagers to embark on a low-carb diet to lose weight.
If you’re thinking mucus by now, please stick with me a little longer.
Like any other animal, our bodies are accustomed to the usual source of energy. When we start limiting or cutting down on the carbs –our source of energy, the body experiences;
- and nausea.
This will last a short period of time depending on your body’s adaption process. These immediate side effects are term the low-carb flu.
The body moves into Ketosis –a fat-burning metabolism, after figuring out an option on how to survive minus carbs and creating another source of energy.
The adaption of the body to another source of energy and losing water weight can both give off bad breath. You don’t want to talk to people at arm’s length, surely not.
Slimming down could lead to this-with the dry mouth from lost water weight, but this is controllable and manageable.
Read about everything about breath on a low-carb diet: Click here
Snacks: High Protein Foods with low carbs
You don’t have to wander all over the internet to find the best high protein snack. These sacks are filled and packed with proteins that will give you the prolonged fullness feeling.
Here are some protein sacks to consider;
Contains: Proteins 56g and Carbohydrate 8g
These seeds are most delicious without shells and the bold flavors from some make your snacking experience all worth it.
The Detour banana nut smart bar protein bar
Contains Protein 10g, Carbohydrates 18g
There’s no better choice than a banana piece for that needed protein –making a bar which is to your comfort, filling and satisfying.
Contain: Protein 28g
This dried meat which is trimmed of fat is a good snack. It could be beef, chicken, turkey or even salmon.
Rowdy bar Sunflower Butter N Berries Energy Bar
Contain Protein 10g, carbohydrates 23g
These pure berries and seeds go alongside egg-white protein to give you the best snack time.
Greek Yogurt parfait
Contain: Protein 20g per 1 cup
This healthy high protein snack is more than filling than other yogurts. It’s very rich in calcium giving it a healthy plus for bones.
Shakes: High Protein Foods with low carbs
It doesn’t have to be frustrating when dieting. You have only to pick the shakes drink and all the trouble will be no more. A big promise, right? Here is its support;
You can make the protein shakes below at home. You only have to take note of the carb count of the recipe you are preparing to try out. Trust me when I say this; “YOU DON’T NEED UNPLEASANT SURPRISES.”
Here are some high protein shakes;
- Almond Horchata:
with the ingredients; Almond milk, vanilla protein, almond butter, and Cinnamon.
- Creamy Cardamon:
with the ingredients; Hemp milk, cottage cheese, Almond butter, and Ground Cardamom
- Chocolate Almond:
with the ingredients; Coconut milk, Chocolate protein, Almonds, and chia or flax seeds
- Chocolate Peanut Butter:
with the ingredients; High Protein Milk, half cup of TOFU, Peanut Butter, 1 Tablespoon Dark Cocoa
with the ingredients; Strong Coffee, Greek Yogurt, Coconut oil, Cinnamon
How much weight can you lose on a low carb diet in a short period of time?
When almost down the road of weight loss, we all wander off and want to know whether the efforts will amount to the rewards -and when it will happen. This is human nature.
There are a number of factors 6that will contribute to weight loss other than the low carb diet or exercises, and not only that, our bodies respond to dietary changes differently.
Therefore, the estimates mentioned here, are not the gospel truth but rather a basis to track progress. Most people who will eat or take in very low carbohydrates may lose on average a half a kilogram per week. To most studies, dieticians, and medical people, this is a healthy rate.
What are the side effects of a high protein low carbohydrate diet?
World-wide and beyond, everyone is advocating for a reduction in the consumption of carbohydrates and an increase, on the other hand, of proteins to have beneficial effects of weight loss.
This action has its share of side effects, or to better suit the language of impact, DEMERITS.
For most adults, these may not easily be noticed for the first couple of days but can experience these health effects;
- Headache & Dizziness
- Possible Bad breath
- Muscle cramps
- Constipation or Diarrhoea
However, inconsiderate restriction on the number of carbohydrates you eat is most likely going to develop health concerns in the long term as you continue to feed this habit.
These are some of the health concerns you ought to be aware of;
Poor Kidney function
With your increased consumption of protein-rich foods, it will put a strain on the kidneys’ performance in general. Although some studies have shown that this effect is mostly directed towards the people who have had a history of kidney problems, especially rental-related concerns.
The consumption of dairy products and meat in your high protein low car diets will most likely push up your cholesterol and can increase the chances of heart disease.
This is a condition where your bones are weak and brittle. This may come up due to a deficiency in calcium –where more is needed by the body and it’s forced to get it from the bones.
The high protein foods are said to cause certain cancers but the evidence supporting this claim is not conclusive.
Breakfast: High Proteins Foods with low carbs
Try out these delicious high protein low carbs meals for your breakfast;
The Skillet-Baked Eggs with Spinach, Yogurt, and Chili Oil
- Greek Yogurt
- Olive oil
- Lemon Juice
- Chili powder
- Mix yogurt, garlic, and salt in a bowl. You can place this aside
- Heat the oven to 3000 and melt 1 tablespoon of butter with oil.
- Add leek and scallion, reduce the heat at this point. Cook for about 10 minutes
- Add the spinach + lemon juice and season with salt, increase heat. Cook until wilted for about 5 minutes.
- Move the spinach mixture to a skillet and make 4 deep indentations in the center of spinach -2 indentations in case the skillet is small.
- Break an egg for each hollow –keep yolks in tack
- Bake until the egg whites are set. Maybe for 15 minutes
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat
- Add kirmizi biber and salt, cook until butter starts to foam and browned
- Add oregano and cook for about 30s. You could remove garlic halves from yogurt –discard.
Sullivan’s keDough breakfast pizza
- Protein powder
- Baking powder
- Olive oil
- Tomato sauce
- Heat the oven to 190° Celsius.
- Mix these ingredients in a bowl;
½ cup whey isolate unflavored protein powder
A ½ tablespoon of baking powder
½ tablespoon granulated garlic
A ½ tablespoon of salt
½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
3 ounces grated parmesan cheese
3 ounces mozzarella cheese
2 ounces cream cheese
4 tablespoon olive oil
- Line a pizza stone with parchment paper. You may use a wooden spoon to smooth the dough into a round pizza crust.
- Divide the dough into fourths and create four, 5-inch pizza crusts
- Bake the crust for about 12 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven, top with your favorite pizza toppings.
- After you top the pizza, return to the oven to bake until the toppings are browned and the cheese is melted.
- Olive oil
- Plum tomatoes
- Cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper
- Feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh Cilantro or Basil
- Cook the chopped onions and zucchini in a frying pan with a little fat.
- Add the garlic, then the spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Put the tomatoes and simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Include the feta cheese slowly, stirring.
- Add the eggs, arranging them evenly.
- Put the pan in the oven to bake until the eggs have just cooked.
- Season with the herbs and serve it right away.
Lunch: High Protein Foods with low carbs
Lunch is an amazing time to refuel. What better way to do this than to try out these high protein low-carb diet meals;
Spaghetti squash Bolognese
- Spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Heat the oven to 2000 Celsius.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half (as in lengthwise).
- Put the spaghetti squash cut side down on the baking sheet and use a fork to poke holes.
- Bake for about 40 minutes when it’s lightly browned on the outside. The time will vary depending on the size of your squash
- Get from the oven and flip the squash so that it’s cut side up.
- Wait until it’s cool, then use a fork to scrape it and fluff the strands from the sides of the squash.
- Olive oil
- Chopped cauliflower
- Sesame oil
- Ground ginger
- Black pepper to taste
- Chopped carrots
- Chopped green onions
- Low-salt soy sauce
- Low-salt vegetable stock
- Cook the green onions and carrots in an oiled pan with little fat.
- Add the cauliflower and the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook until the cauliflower is tender but not too soft.
Dinner: High Protein Foods with low carbs
Grilled salmon salad
- Salmon fillets
- Low salt grill seasoning
- Olive oil
- Sliced cucumber
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Lime juice
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped red onion
- Season the salmon fillets, and then grill until they just cook.
- Combine the cucumber, lettuce, onion, and avocado to make the salad.
- Put together the other ingredients to make the dressing.
- Combine the salmon and dressing to the salad.
Teriyaki chicken salad
- Low-fat mayonnaise
- Low-salt soy sauce
- Plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- Cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- Grated or minced garlic
- Diced celery
- Grated carrot
- Toasted almond slivers
- Lettuce leaves
- Combine the water, honey, soy sauce and garlic in a pan.
- Boil the ingredients mixed, then simmer until they reduce.
- After cooling, mix in the mayonnaise and yogurt.
- Stir in the chicken, celery, carrot, and almonds.
- Serve the mixture on the lettuce leaves.
In a Nutshell;
There are health benefits associated with eating fewer carbohydrates on top of weight reduction, and they are not difficult to attain from foods.
High Protein Foods with low carbs are very tasty, healthy, and nutritious. Therefore, from a range of foods like vegetables, fruits, dairy products, fish, Fat & Oils, to mention a few, you can enjoy all benefits.
Subscribe for weekly insights on faster weight loss and good health.