Sometimes laziness strikes and you can’t move to the gym, maybe caught up or it’s heavily snowing outside and many other circumstances that can hinder you from working out. What should you do then? Give up the workouts or get yourself the best among stationary bikes to help you work out. A stationary bike is able to burn about 90- 380 calories in just 30 minutes awesome right? That’s what I also thought. First of all, the convenience being able to work out from home at any time of the day at any season of the year. The small space it occupies and its budget-friendly I may say. But here come the big questions;
- what is the best stationary bike?
- How many calories does a stationary bike burn?
- Is 30 minutes on a stationary bike enough?
- What are the benefits of stationary bikes?
- Can you lose belly fat using a stationary bike?
- What are the types of stationary bikes?
- What should I know before buying a stationary bike?
How many calories does stationary biking burn?
While working out on the stationary bike, calories burned will depend on a few factors. Which are; the length of the workout and the intensity at which you are riding. Also, your body mass greatly determines how calories are burned. With these three factors, we can calculate the calories a person can burn when working out on a stationary bike.
While pedalling at a light intensity, a 130-pound person can burn 162 calories in 30 minutes of working out. With no resistance, that same person burns approximately 90 calories. By just changing to a vigorous or with so much resistance around 310-370 calories can be burned in just 30 minutes.
And so, the calories burned will depend on your weight, intensity (the higher the more calories burned) and then your body mass. And therefore, to burn more calories set a moderate intensity as you shift upwards to increase the intensity. This will provide resistance to your body making you burn more calories and fat. Aim to workout longer periods of time so as you gain much from the workout as the longer the workout the better the results with a stationary bike.
How long does it take to burn 500 calories on a stationary bike?
Burning 500 calories on a stationary bike will depend on your body mass and intensity you are working out on. The higher the intensity the more calories burned which means you can burn 500 calories in about 45 minutes if you are riding on a vigorous intensity. And you can also spend around 2 hours trying to burn 500 calories if you are riding on very light intensity. And so, it greatly depends on the intensity of the workout.
Is 30 minutes on stationary bike enough?
In 30 minutes, you can burn about 90-350 calories. This will greatly depend on your workout intensity and body weight. And so, all will depend on the number of calories you would wish to burn. They can be enough if you are planning on doing some other weight loss workouts like cardio, trend mill or lifting weights.
Can you lose belly fat by riding a stationary bike?
Natural instincts towards losing belly fat will push you to do sit-ups, planks and crunches. They are very effective in losing belly fat so is the stationary bike. Although it doesn’t focus on the belly muscles and does focus on the glutes and all leg muscles, the stationary bike is efficient in burning body fat with the belly fat inclusive. The stationary bike will increase your body’s metabolism burning fat and calories in the process. If it’s done with the right intensity and time, belly fat can be lost using the stationary bike.
Are stationary bikes worth it?
Stationary bikes have got a lot of health benefits and here are the reasons why you should own a stationary bike at home.
Helps with weight loss
A stationary bike is capable of burning around 200- 380 calories in just 30 minutes. How awesome, this means in an hour you are able to burn about 600 calories. This makes it one of the fastest ways to burn fat and calories for weight loss.
Strengthen s your legs and lower muscles.
Riding a stationary bike especially with high resistance will be able to strengthen your leg and lower muscles. The work out will be target quadriceps, calves, glutes and hamstrings.
The stationary bike is also capable of giving a woman firm thighs as it sheds off that saggy thigh fat. It will help you deal away with the fat on the thighs and legs and build lean toned muscles.
A stationary bike is so convenient as it can be used during any time of the day whether during the day or night when outside is dangerous for workouts. And talking about convenience, this is a workout you can do even when it’s snowing heavily outside. This means time or bad weather cannot stop you from working out.
Safer than road cycling.
The stationary bike is much safer than real bike cycling. Being prone to lots of accidents with other vehicles, falling off or getting lost I n the mountains, a stationary bike will deliver almost the same results but with a much safer environment and delivery. What you will only miss is the adventure but choosing outdoor road cycling over a stationary bike for weight loss, the stationary bike would be a better alternative.
Helps in increasing endurance.
Tiring is very common during workouts. But the stationary bike helps to build stamina and endurance. By adding the stationary bike to your work out you will be able to finish your other cardio or other workouts with ease without tiring easily.
Any form of working out will boost your moods making you happier. So is the stationary bike also being capable of boosting your moods while making you healthier. A happy mood, a sleep full night and feeling energized is some of the benefits you will experience after a ride on a stationary bike.
Improves heart health.
Working out on a stationary bike will help keep your heart healthier and in good shape. Pedalling will give your heart a challenge in trying to meet up the oxygen demand. This is exercising the heart to make it stronger and healthier thus reducing the risk of heart attacks or failure.
Helps in keeping the joints healthy.
Pedalling on a stationary bike will help in improving your joint mobility. When working out on a stationary bike, joints of the knee, hips and ankles rotate which strengthens them and keeps them healthy.
Types of stationary bikes
There are three types of stationary bikes.
The best stationary bike will depend greatly on your needs. All the types of stationary bikes are efficient in burning calories and so choosing the best stationary bike will greatly depend on your preference in terms of colour, workouts you are to do, size and budget.
This is the type of bike which comes in most people’s minds when talking about stationary bikes. They are the most popular and found in almost every gym. An upright bike is similar to a normal bicycle with pedals positioned below your body. The handles are positioned at the front and you have to lean a little bit forward in order to utilize them. It can be used while standing or seated. And It’s great for cardio and strengthening your leg muscles and core.
Pros of upright bikes
- They are of convenience due to their small size and can be placed almost anywhere. This means they won’t utilize much of your space whether in a home or gym. With various resistance levels, they make a great user experience.
- They are pretty affordable as most upright bikes don’t go beyond $250 and a lot more less.
- Versatile as they can be used whether you are standing or seated according to your preference.
- Upright bikes are great for cardio as they also strengthen your leg muscles.
- Low-impact exercises don’t cause muscle sores or shin splits as other high impact exercises do.
- This is an upright stationary bike with a sturdy steel frame carrying a maximum weight of 275 pounds.
- It has got an emergency brake to bring the bike to an immediate stop.
- Experience a smooth and quiet ride with this stationary bike.
- A 4-way adjustable seat and a 2-way adjustable handlebar to adapt to any user with convenience.
- With a bottle holder to keep you hydrated throughout the workout.
- Here is its latest price from Amazon
- Equipped with a magnetic flywheel and belt drive system to give a challenging nearly silent experience.
- With a tension knob, you can adjust the intensity of your exercise bike. And a complete immediate stop when you press the knob down.
- Has an LDC display screen to track your speed, distance, time and calories burned while you workout.
- Bottle and phone holders for your convenience as you workout.
- Fully 4-way adjustable seat and 2-way adjustable sweat-absorbing non-slip handlebar to meet your requirements.
- Supports up to 280 pounds.
- Here is the latest price on Amazon.
- Supports up to 300 pounds.
- Slick design makes it stand out and with a silent workout experience.
- The handlebars are equipped with hand pulse sensors to measure your heart rate and record the speed, distance, calories and body fat.
- The magnetic resistance tension controlled system allows the user to adjust up to an 8 level tension.
- Hre is the latest price from Amazon.
This bike is far different than the upright bike. With its laid-back design, seat set back from the pedals and there are no handles like that of an upright bike. It’s a got a cushion for a seat not like the bicycle seat on an upright bike. It’s built for ultimate comfort and a user-friendly workout.
Pros of recumbent stationary bikes.
- Capable of measuring the heart rate, speed, distance and calories burned
- Puts less stress to your upper body making your workout less intense thus saving you from muscle soreness and fatigue.
- The seat is adjustable either horizontally or vertically for comfortability.
- It’s built for comfort as you work out, even most having a backrest. This means they can be used by the elderly or young without the worry of falling off due to their safe nature.
- It features a premium steel frame that combines design and great performance making it durable to last for a very long time.
- 8 levels of resistance so as you can switch between different intensities according to your preference. The tension knob also is capable of bringing to bring the bike to an immediate stop if needed.
- High tech LDC monitor that acts as an odometer that shows time, speed, distance and calories.
- Adjustable seat length lets you adjust the bike to your comfort to whelp you work out to at maximum
- The vinyl foam handlebar provides a solid grip for a comfortable workout.
- Here is the latest Amazon price
- 14 levels of smooth magnetic resistance make this stationary bike standout. This allows the user to have full control over the level of difficulty or resistance. Witha smooth torque cranking system provides a consistent and almost silent pedalling motion.
- A multi LDC display that displays and records time, speed, distance, calories, heart rate, RPM and odometer.
- Ipad and water bottle holders for convenience as you workout.
- Adjustable seat and backrest offer comfort while supporting your hip and back to ensure a correct posture.
- Premium heavy-duty stainless steel frame combines performance and great design. It’s capable of supporting up to 300-350 pounds.
- Check out the latest price on Amazon.
- The goal tracking capability enables a user to set individual exercise goals.
- Mp3 input to listen to your favourite music as you workout through console speakers.
- With a maximum weight supported up to 136 kilograms.
- Dual track LDC display screens offer multi-purpose visibility to programs and goal tracking at ago.
- 22 preset workout programs: 9 profile, 8 heart rate control, 2 fitness test, 1 quick start.
- Charging USB port to charge your phone or tablet as you workout.
- Here is the latest price on Amazon
Dual-Action Stationary Bikes
The dual-action bike is a great overall body workout bike. It has got handles that move back and forth as you pedal making you work out both the lower and upper body at ago.
Pros of a dual-action stationary bike
- The capability of being able to work out both the upper and lower body make it a great stationary bike.
- Thick cushioned seats for comfortability as you work out.
- Safe for all ages.
- Dual-action extended handlebars to workout both the upper and lower body at ago.
- Easy to adjust resistance levels to match your preference.
- Adjustable seat to reach your height.
- Weigh capacity of 250 pounds.
- Digital display tracks time, speed, distance and calories burned.
- Here is the latest price on Amazon
- It offers a full-body workout by working both the upper and lower body as you pedal.
- Comes with a user-friendly tracker and an LDC display to scan modes and to track your distance, time, speed and calories burned as you workout.
- The adjustable seat offers comfort as you workout.
- Check out the price on Amazon
Tips you should know before buying a stationary bike.
These are some of the tips you can consider while choosing a stationary bike
- You should know the weight that the stationary bike is able to support. The more weight supported, the better.
- Ensure it has a good, comfortable and adjustable saddle that can reach different heights to suit your needs and those of other family members.
- The handlebars should be adjustable and movable in terms of height and distance from you as you pedal.
- Stationary bikes with display screens provide more purpose in terms of tracking and progress. Choose one that has a display screen to show the distance travelled, speed, heart rate and calories burned.
- Ensure it has an option of resistance pedalling.
- Check if it has enough levels of intensity or resistance. The higher the gears, the better.
- If you happen to have an issue with the back, choose a bike that has a backrest or has got an option of getting a backrest attached to it.
- Check out online reviews to see its durability, resistance, user experience and comfortability.
Now that you own a stationary bike, its time you get to know of the workout plans you can execute on a stationary bike.
Beginner workout plan
If you are just starting to use a stationary bike, start out slow and increase gradually.
25-35 minutes are good for those starting workouts adding a few minutes as you get stronger and more fit. This workout is aimed at getting your muscles flexible and used to the workouts. It won’t burn many calories but will increase your endurance and flexibility.
Break down of the workout
- Start pedalling at a low intensity for about 10-15 minutes
- Switch to a higher intensity for 5 minutes
- Reduce the intensity to a lower one for 5 minutes
- Keep on alternating with the intensities with a medium to a low intensity
- Finish off pedalling in a low intensity.
Weight loss workout plan
This is a type of workout that will burn calories and reduce that body fat. It‘s wise to do this type of workout after gaining endurance and flexibility using a low-intensity workout or beginner work out.
Breakdown of the workout
- Start pedalling at a low intensity for 5-10 minutes.
- Switch to medium intensity for 3-5 minutes.
- Increase to a higher intensity for about3-5 minutes
- Keep on alternating between high and medium intensity with a range of 3–5 minutes.
- Finish off while pedalling in a low intensity for about 5 minutes.
Tips to get the most out of your cycling workout
- Get your seat positioned in a way that it is at a height where your legs are only slightly bent while you are pedalling. This will help you to put less pressure on your knee joints. If a professional is present please ask for help to avoid injuring yourself. Work out experts recommend adjusting the handlebars to a height higher than your seat. In this way, your back will be kept safe from stress and injury.
- Position your body in such a way that you aren’t leaning forward or backwards too much. It should be a slight lean because leaning forward too much may interfere with your breathing and so keep it a little lean. And avoid leaning to the sides or you may fall off and get hurt. Always keep almost an upright position and well balanced on the stationary bike. If you are not sure of the right position ask a certified trainer for help.
- Using varying speeds and resistances to get the most out of your workout. And remember always start at a low intensity as a warm-up before switching to higher gears.
- Don’t push yourself so hard as this will cause harm to you. If you are in a group don’t try to compete with others if you feel you are done for the day, don’t push harder especially if you are new to the exercise.
- Music will help you to keep up the pace and not bored as you work out. Create a playlist according to their beats and variations when you work out.
I hope this blog answered most of your questions about stationary bikes. If you feel there is something I left out and you would wish I write about it just comment. Feel free to share this article if you find it useful and you know of someone who should know of this information.